Saturday, March 29, 2014

FDA Stepping It Up


Today, as junior theme topics have been throwing around, I became interested when someone said they were doing their paper on the farming industry in America today. It is becoming a well known fact that farming these past couple of years has really changed the food industry. Drugs are being used to make animals grow faster, fruit is becoming bigger, etc.

When I saw this article I was very interested because it was about the junior theme I heard about. According to the article the FDA made an announcement that manufactures cannot sell drugs for the use of speeding up growth in animals. Therefore farmers will not be able to make their animals grow fatter faster.

This news made me very happy to hear because I believe our society has become very accecepting of long food labels with chemicals we've never even heard of and do not really think about what we are putting in our mouths. I do not think it even crosses people's minds that when they have chicken for dinner there is a huge possibility that it was fed antibiotics to grow faster that medical experts are still skeptical about. What do you think? Why has society become so accepting of these antibiotics? Is it because we don't know or is is it we just don't care?

No comments:

Post a Comment